Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Crowded House

It's summer and ... that's why it's raining. Go figure

So we're all inside, there's a movie on, no one's talking to me and I can spare a thought for our crazy week! Anton and Nastya got kicked out of their apartment this week, for reasons unexplained, and rather than have them sleep on the street, of course they came to stay with us! And their dog Gruff. We had the questionable pleasure of taking care of Gruff when he was a wee little one, and that's what he did, everywhere- that and yelp. Well the weeing has become less than constant in the last three months, but the yelping has kept pace with his body size. Thankfully they only needed to stay one night.
It was good to see them though. Anton used to live with us, but since moving out and getting a job he doesn't have a lot of time to visit anymore.
How does the proverb go? Distance and the heart...?

Our days off got a bit sabotaged by the whole event, and others (non-youth) needing to visit and talk, etc. I decided to take some drastic measure to preserve my sanity, so I went walking.

"Gulat' " is a concept I've only encountered here. It may be a Russian thing, a youth thing, a lower socio-economic thing... I don't know. Our young folks here fall into all these categories. Gulat' means to go out. Usually with someone else, but I went on my own. To go out and to hang out, walk around, not do anything but just spend time. It's often related with drinking binges... I won't go into that here. But basically, what I did was I walked around town, ALL afternoon. I wouldn't want to do it every day, I couldn't walk much at all the following day!! But I got my much-needed time out, alone. And- I might just do it again sometime.

Because he lives I can face tomorrow- because he lives, all fear is gone! Because I know he holds the future, and life is worth the living just because he lives.

No comments: